Saturday, November 12, 2011

INTERVIEW WITH MARTIN CID


INTERVIEW ABOUT FLASH FICTION WITH MARTIN CID
By I. Zara
Martin Cid is a novelist who is recently very fond of flash fiction style. He is publishing brief fiction on his web page (http://www.martincid.com) and on other specialized blogs.
Q- Why are you so interested in this short subgenre now?
A.- I am a novelist and I am interested in novels, big novels where you can create a complete and close world. However, flash fiction allows some motivating possibilities. A novel has structural rules that you can break writing this short literary form and it is fascinating to condense thoughts in few words: a challenge.
Q.-  There are very many discussions about the length. For example, Steve Moss (editor of the New York Times) established 55 words, no more and no fewer. What do you think of this requirement?
A.-  Yes, I like to stick to 55 words and to play with words and thoughts to make everything fit. A good flash fiction can produce a strong feeling in the reader. We find the roots of flash fiction in Lovecraft or Hemingway… Of course, internet has given new possibilities.
Q.- When do you start to write flash fiction?
I cannot stop writing. I need to write daily and some busy days I was in a bad mood thinking about the impossibly of writing. Now, I get up, I take a coffee and go for a walk with Jack, my dog. Half an hour later I can write a good flash and the day goes well. If I can write my novels, it is better, but if I must go to pay bills or to whatever silly place, I think: ‘Well, at least I have written a flash, it is not a day wasted.’
Q.- Are you publishing the whole flashes on internet or are you thinking about a future book?
Of course, I am thinking about a book. I love novels but I have published essay and articles too. Why not a book with flash fiction?
Thank you very much.